Friday, December 15, 2006

What the Hell Happened to Avril Lavigne?

I have a few guilty pleasures in life. In no particular order they are:

  1. Mean Girls

  2. Boy Meets World Reruns

  3. Avril Lavigne
I'm sure there are more, but I just can't think of them right now. Sadly, I think I may have to scratch one from the list. Boy Meets World, you ask? No, fortunately I can still catch up on the life of young Corey Matthews on the Disney channel multiple times a day. Sadly, something has happened to Avril Lavigne. I'm not quite sure what it was. I have provided evidence of her evolution in the following clips.

Complicated
This was the first time America met Avril. Her punkish style with catchy, girly pop became an instant hit. Who didn't love Complicated and Sk8trBoi. Complicated is an underrated party song by the way. Crank this up once everyone has had a few drinks and you'll get a sing along that may only be topped by Journey.



Don't Tell Me
Avril got hotter in this video but the all black outfit still showed her punk side. She still had that rough feel. The song was still popish, but don't act like you changed the radio station when this came on. In fact, if you were by yourself I bet you caught yourself singing along.



Avril on TRL
Sadly, something happened to Avril. She got married, but that's certainly not the case because I got married and my wife certainly didn't try to become Jessica Simpson. Plus she said her new album is a lot more upbeat and different. Who wants upbeat, Avril? What happened to your angst? Why the blond hair and perkiness? Also, this interview (much like all TRL interviews) sucks. So please don't bore yourself and watch it all. The first segment really shows how she's changed.



So, if for some reason Avril, her husband, her publicist or anyone else that can influence her for some ungodly reason reads this, please tell her to go back, lest she be struck from my list of guilty pleasures.

At least she still has the Canadian accent...wait - Canadian accents is something I don't like. Damnit.

12 comments:

avrilforever14 said...

she only changed because she grew up im sure she dosnt wanna act like a 17 or 19 year old anmore. she GREW UP! and she is more mature and responsible shes 24 not 17 anymore so get over it

Lo12dN1kon said...

I have to agree with you i was just watching her concert on palladia, and she is even singing her older songs different and she is wearing sparkles and sparkly eye liner. It just doesnt fit her style at lease the style that made her popular. The concert is also filled with like 12-13 year old girls. I too use to be a secret avril fan as well but i just dont like her new stuff.

abillydoefink2 said...

yeah, i agree. ive always looked up to avril lavinge since i was a kid. i was a huge fan of her music and punkish style. and im kind of disapointed that she changed.

Azera Bell said...

I always looked up to her when i was little. Sadly I think she did it to make more money. Ya that's it i hate to say it but she is a sell out. Gave up her style to get more money.

WalterEgo said...

same thing that happens to all girls in the business - some schmuck tells them that they have to get more sexy to sell more albums, and next thing you see them crawling around in mud singing som retarded crap about being 'a free and independent woman'
...o m g..

Unknown said...

I used to love Avril... because she was different. but now, she looks like Christina Aguilara or however you spell it... I mean, watch Avril's video "Hot" and tell me that doesn't look like something Christina would do...

Anonymous said...

avrilforever14 you realy think she grew up? shes acting like an everyday little imature girl, being slutier, and talking about "messing around" and stuff, unlike her old songs, that had some meaning on them... its sad that she gave up her good side to go along the world's "lets have fun and sex" culture...

All about brake bleeder tools said...

I actually found the old 17 year old Avril more mature than this 27 year old Hollywood ditz she is now. The music was certainly more honest and real, now she is just another packaged singer with mediocre songs.

Anonymous said...

Okay she did not grow up. Have you heard some of her new songs seriously? She sings about whoring around and being 'bad'...Ohhh yeah sooo mature and grown up.

بهروز said...

yeah, i agree.
I asking myself every time watching her video, what happend to avril?
I agree with steph ,she looks like Christina Aguilara-maddona-britney spears and ...
O M G what's hapennig to them?...
she was my best but now... i don't like her.
yes, She sings about whoring around and being 'bad'.

Anonymous said...

I remember, back in 2003, she said that she doesn't have to show flesh to be popular. Of course her talent was enough. But now she's showing so much flesh & she sounds like total crap. MayB she really lost her talent now

Matey said...

Everyone who's saying that she grew up is just bullshitting.
He acted a lot more mature as 17 year old than a 25 year old...