Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I Hate The WNBA

I usually go work out fairly early after work. But, last night, I decided to go work out late. Usually I work out late. This meant several things, but only a couple that are pertinent to this post: 1) I watched the 6pm SportsCenter and 2) I saw the 10pm SportsCenter at the gym.

Normally, this would be a good thing, especially on the heels of a fantastic NCAA national championship game Monday. Instead, I was force fed Tennessee women's basketball and, more specifically, Candace Parker. Now I have talked about the WNBA before, but let me clarify something - I am not against women's athletics, or even women's basketball for that matter. I just hate that the its being shoved down my throat by the NBA and ESPN.

Just stop selling it to me as the same game. Don't say "We Got Next," don't include them in the All-Star weekend or dunk contests, and don't tell me that the Tennessee women's basketball team could beat the best male high-school basketball team - they couldn't (side note, there's a reason those college squads get guys for their practice squads).

Honestly, women's basketball not exciting to watch unless you know someone on the team. Watching the WNBA/NCAAWBB is like watching Nascar for the wrecks - its only awesome when you get things like this picture happening. Fortunately, there's other people that think like me.



Sorry for the rant. It's a little early this year, but only because I'm preparing for the onslaught of WNBA commercials that are going to come with the NBA playoffs. To make up for it, here's an awesome Kiss Cam video



(I don't remember where I got both of these videos, but I'm pretty sure it was Basketbawful, an awesome NBA blog if you're into that sorta thing.)

No comments: