Thursday, December 14, 2006

'95 Nebraska Is the GOAT and Herbstreit Flips Out

ESPN Classic ran a program last night - the All-Time Greatest College Football Teams. They had some crazy internet voting and compared teams from different eras. As a sidenote, I don't think you can compare athletes from different eras because athletes now are bigger, faster and stronger than those from 30 years ago. That said, there were still some bad ass athletes, but, in general, some of the best athletes went to baseball and boxing, not to football.

But I digress, Nebraska had 3 teams in the voting, 1971, 1983 and 1995 (my personal favorite). They had the preliminary voting online and then they had the last few rounds live on classic. The voting was pretty interesting with 95 Nebrsaka topping 71 Nebraska as the Greatest Of All Time. That's not really a surprise considering 1995 Nebraska is widely considered one of the best all-time teams.

But what is interesting is how Kirk Herbstreit reacts. He flips out. You may remember last year that Herbie voted 95 Nebraska as like the 4th best team all-time when he was trying to say that 2005 USC was the best all-time. Now he gets visibly angry that people voted 71 Nebraska to face 95 Nebraska. Now I know quite a bit about college football and I don't know a lot about the 71 team, but apparently they were pretty good (but I think my athletes from a long time ago point still holds up). I have no clue if they were the 2nd best all-time, but it made for an awesome youtube.com clip.

So, now that you have read through all of that, you know I'll give you something for it. Check out Herbstreit on the show. He gets so angry and flustered - its awesome. I laughed really, really hard. At one point he stands up and I expected him to do the "F- You, F- You, You're Cool, F- You, I'm out" bit. Also, I like how they have the senior citizen's table. Good work ESPN.

No comments: