Friday, April 20, 2007

Casual Dress Friday: The Association Starts Tomorrow

Its a Casual Dress Friday here at the Skeet Thrower and its a very exciting weekend for me. Not only am I about to finish up my week here in Kokomo, IN but the real Association season (aka the playoffs) start tomorrow. In celebration of this joyous event, I have a plethora of NBA commercials and clips to give you something to laugh at while you sit through the next 2 months of good basketball.

We'll start with the probable MVP, Dirk Nowitzki. I'm not going to describe this video - just watch it.



Dirk looks like an idiot the entire time. Now, Dirk is a great basketball player (he helped me win one of my fantasy leagues after my boy Agent Zero went down) but I'll say this - I never really bought into the whole, the NBA sucks since Jordan left thing, but when the MVP race is between these two guys, we're in trouble.

While we're talking about foreign big men, take a look at this Pau Gasol car commercial. Since I can't speak whatever language it is, I can't tell you the premise of the commercial, but I do know that Gasol is a blow-up doll.



The cheerleader may be the most ridiculous part of that whole thing. Speaking of ridiculous, here is a promo video for a mid-90's Washington Bullets (they are now the Wizards) team. The best part of that video is Gheorghe Muresan (another foreigh big man!). Who is he you ask? An ungodly tall and awkward center and the highlight of his life may have been My Giant with Billy Crystal. Anyway, since I brought him up, here is a video of Muresan dancing with ESPN anchors Karl Ravich and Kenny Mayne (on a side note, shouldn't we have known that Mayne was gonna suck on DWTS thanks to this clip?).



I'll stay with the theme of big men and show you a funny commercial featuring the Diesel, Shaquille O'Neal. He's had a few over the years (and also some unintentially funny movies), but this is one of my favorites.



Baxter, you know I don't speak Spanish! Since I'm on the topic of former Lakers, here is a 7up commerical from Magic Johnson. Two things about this commercial: 1) I think he's wasted and 2) I'm not sure who Ann Meyers is, but I'm pretty sure she prolly has the HIV now.

Another old school player, Charles Barkley, has some good commercials out right now...but this one will always be my favorite (check out that sweet early 90's outfit!).

Moving to the opposite end of the spectrum, here's a good (and kinda weird) rookie commercial. This is Adam Morrison's dirty stache commercial. The best part of that may be at the end where he talks about driving around in a muscle car solving mysteries. Made me think of this, which made me laugh.

At this point, I've decided that this post is too long so I'm going to break it off and give you another piece next week sometime (besides, it will take too long to load if I keep going). Whether you enjoy the Association or not, you've got to enjoy some of these commercials. I'll leave you with one more video - its actually a spoof of a real Nike commercial, The Third Coming. I laughed pretty hard at this one.



Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Royalcow said...

This was always one of my favorite commercials...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJQOnXgpi0

Double M said...

Ya, I always loved that one (here's a link if you're lazy). I didn't post it because it focused too much on Don Nelson and not enough on the Mavs. Good commercial though.