Friday, May 25, 2007

Casual Dress Friday: Vas o No Vas

Its a casual dress Friday here at the Skeet Thrower and if you haven't figured it out yet, I watch a lot of video on the Internets. Of course, sometimes the videos are boring, sometimes they are NSFW (ironically that link is SFW), but, no matter what, the videos are always crazier/funnier when they are in another language.

For instance, I commented on Wheezy's blog about Michael Moore that Oprah showed this video which I didn't laugh at; however, when I saw it in Spanish, I laughed pretty hard. On a completely unrelated side-note, I read this on a sports blog and I'm pretty sure it describes me failry well:

"Though we’re still relatively new to this genre, it appears as if the best way to become part of the blogging community is to link to other bloggers. It’s kind of like we’re all on this immensely gay basketball team, going around giving each other high-fives and pats on the back."

But I digress - What is it about the production value from Mexico that catches my attention? Why do I always look to see what is on the Univision when I'm scrolling through the channels on my DVR (and why do I always laugh at a show named Infarto)? Finally, why do I find myself consistently watching Spanish Deal or No Deal Vas o No Vas (which literally means "you go or do not go")?

I have no answers to any of those questions. Its definitely not the dialog (you know I don't speak Spanish). It's not the quailty, which rivals Catwoman. It might be because I get to see the banker on Vas o No Vas. Ok, lets be honest, its because of the Mexican Hat Dance.

Yes, foreign language videos always rank right up there with videos from the 50's or 60's that make me say "That's what she said" (there are so many ridiculous things in that video: He had to find things out by talking to a zookeeper! Why are people clapping (on a sub-side note here - try searching slow clap on YouTube. Now go to the 2nd set of results. Not what I was expecting...) and shaking his hand? No way anything that happened in that video could ever happen...). But, I don't think they top catching someone saying something obscene on TV.



Ay, ay, ay, PenetraciĆ³n doble. Nothing like some good sideline reporting.

Yes, this entire post was written just so I could show that video.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: