Thursday, February 28, 2008

This Is How Things Get Ruined

There's been a running theme in a lot of the things I've read on the intermist lately - funny things becoming not funny. I've talked about it here before and I don't really want to rehash it again (although I'll probably talk about it tomorrow a little more in depth to be honest, so ignore that last sentence), but I wanted to take a look at two hip-hop trends, one that is crashing and another that is still rolling strong.

To be honest, nothing seems to crush the life of a hip-hop trend quicker than white people picking it up - not necessarily white people that are tight with the streets, rather, upper-class, older white people.

Example A: Crank Dat - people still love to Superman Dat Ho, but I've heard it hasn't been played in the best clubs for a while now. This is why.



Funny? Absolutely. Will that kill any cred for that song? You betcha.

Example B: Ghost riding that whip. Turns out that this still hasn't caught on with upper-middle class white America (just imagine your rich boss opening the car door to his Lexus and breaking it down next to his car) and I don't see it really happening. Thus, ghost riding is still cool as evidenced by this video.



Ghost ride that DeLorean. Funny? Fo sho, but it still keeps its cred.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently this the new "thing" - I was at a Grizzlie's game in December and they had the Grannies and the Grampas and they did the same dance... Horrifying, yet hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Did you see this???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYp2Aloz-uE

Double M said...

Ya, those jail guys are nuts. I don't know how they get everyone in on that.

At least without some shanking or something.