Monday, October 01, 2007

Post #200: Its Been A Long Journey

Well, I've finally made it to post #200. Finally. I've been waiting for this post for a long time (I started looking ahead to this post about 2 months ago!). Over the past 200 posts, I've had some good ideas, some great ideas and some ideas that didn't pan out so well. Just over the last 100 posts, I've moved from visiting a few websites a day to using a reader that now has over 130 subscriptions. I've also moved, started a new job, been offered to post for another blog and become waaaay less consistent in the whole posting thing.

What does all this mean for the Skeet Thrower? Nothing really. If like 5 seconds ago you were expecting a big life/blog announcement, you guessed wrong. I'll be back for more in the coming weeks almost like nothing changed. Except one thing: Something is changing.

You see, I talked with another blogger that was not Wheezy, Todd or Brandon when I was asked if I wanted to write for another blog (you'd think this was a big deal since I brought it up twice, but its not at all). His words of advice about blogging were, "Don't do it if you can't do it consistently." He, of course, was referring to both quantity and quality, and, since I have been consistently inconsistent since about June, I felt that I couldn't really do it (I wasn't sure I wanted to anyway).

But that got me thinking about all the Skeet Throwing I do here on the blizog. I don't post more than 3 times a week anymore, and when I do post, its a kinda-big undertaking because I attempt to find a bunch of links. While this is good, I feel that it can make reading my posts a burden - and no one wants skeet throwing to be a burden (and people miss half the links anyway). As a result, from post #200 on, you're going to see a new style on the Skeet Thrower. There are 2 big things that will change.

  1. Post content is going to be rolled back. No longer will I include 3-4 videos plus 10+ links in each post. I'm going to roll back to about 2 videos and a couple related links as necessary. This, for most people, would be considered a bad thing. And since the skeet thrower can't leave a bad taste in your collective mouths, here's the second point.

  2. I'm going to post more often - like every week day. Currently, I hope to get out 2-3 posts a week, but I'm jumping that expectation to 5-6 posts a week. So while the daily content may decrease, you should be getting more content. This will also allow me to write about a wider variety of things (its not like I'm locked in now) without feeling like I'm alienating a part of my audience by writing a post. If this were a verbal conversation, it is at this point that I'd hope you'd say "True," to which I would respond, "True" thus creating the Double True.

In any case, I hope you all will enjoy the new format. It should be better for all of us. As much as I love the Skeet Throwing, I miss the days when it only took me 20 minutes to throw something around - this 2 hour stuff kills my mojo.

At this point, you're like, "OK, MMMMMM. Friday you told us that you read too much and now were 5-10 minutes into post #200 and we're not getting a celebration, we're getting a f***ing blog novel. Can you get to some fun stuff please?" Fair enough. Although to be fair, you'd think after 200 posts you would have figured out that I can be a little wordy.

Rather than rolling post #100 styl-ee, I'm going to give you a taste of the new style with a few videos that may chronicle your thoughts throughout this post.

#1) When you realized how long this post was.



#2) Right after I said I'm scaling back my posts. I don't know what it is about this video, but I can't stop watching it. It's holy nuts.



#3) When you realized that I would be posting more (hopefully) and that there were actually videos in this post.



Change is a scary thing. I'm scared to. We'll get through this together.

Have a good week.

1 comment:

D Wheezy said...

That Saved by the Bell episode was way too intense for me. After that one I switched to California Dreams.

Congrats on your 200th Post bud. Keep 'em coming. Pun most certainly intended.